2.4.10

Ah, so this is why everyone comes to Switzerland…

Hoch-Ybrig I’m not sure why that bunny is here !?

I finally got my feet wet and went downhill skiing in the Alps. Definitely not something I will ever consider doing every weekend, but it’s fun for a day (although pretty expensive). I’m passable enough on skis (mostly because of sheer fear) to have fun and not be stuck on the Idioten Hill (the German is definitely a bit more degrading than Bunny Hill) all day.

I went to Hoch-Ybrig which is the equivalent to Zurich as Camp Fortune is to Ottawa, except it is much more awesome. Although it is the closest to the city, it was pretty amazing. The whole experience of taking the chairlift up above treeline and basically being able to go anywhere was very cool. The Swiss colour system is blue, red, black in order of difficulty as opposed to the North American green, blue, black. Although some of the Swiss “easy” runs could definitely be closer to the difficult ones of North America. The steepness of the pistes was impressive.

I only ran into some trouble when the only link between the two main lifts involved a tough red run along a narrow section with some steep drop-offs on both sides. Not a huge fan.

I also managed to ride the longest T-bar of life without falling off, which was a good confidence boost after a silly incident at Martock in grade 7.

Drop by over the winter sometime and we can hit the slopes!

No comments:

Post a Comment